Thursday, July 28, 2011

still waiting for that good news... (Day 9)

Still no urine, still no kidney function. Every day that goes by makes the situation more and more serious. If things don't turn around, we will lose him.

People keep asking why dialysis isn't an option. He is much to small and much too delicate for dialysis or a transplant. Even giving him medication is always a concern. Since he has so little blood, adding just a few ccs of medicine to his IV can raise his blood pressure dangerously high. Since he is so small, his entire system is incredibly delicate. The doctors have to be careful that the treatments they give him don't cause issues in other parts of his body.

When I sit and watch him, I can't imagine life without him. He is a little person, so strong and cute and active. But when I leave the hospital, I remember how serious the situation is, and can't imagine how things will ever get better. When I look at pictures of him, I can't picture how he could ever get big enough to come home. When I visit him in person, I can't imagine how we could lose him.

At the very least, it's good that there is no more bad news to add to the bad news we already have. So far, the issue is "only" his kidneys. Unfortunately, there is no good news either.

7 comments:

  1. Davening for Asaf. I remember when our little girl was rushed to the nicu when she stopped breathing right at discharge. I just couldn't stop crying. But i also remember our friends davening for her and now B"H she is now 8 and B"H healthy. May Asaf grow and be healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending prayers and positive energy and strength to the entire family: Leora, David and precious Asaf. I am praying that his little kidneys start functioning. Love to you all--Margi

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many are lifting your little sweet boy up in prayer. I have recruited my friends and family to do the same and have posted on my blog for that. Prayers from around the world are going up as I type this. You are so strong. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Come on, kidneys . . . you can do it . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying for Asaf and for strength for you guys! My twins were born at 24weeks also and I know exactly what you mean about not being able to imagine them big. May Hashem grant you the pleasure of watching him grow big, strong and develop normally!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leora - I'm praying that Asaf's kidneys start functioning. He's a strong little boy and I hope he can overcome this latest challenge.

    Amanda (klinger13)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leora I am praying for your baby boy's kidneys to start functioning.... and for his comfort and strength for all of you. Love and light across the oceans... Sonya

    ReplyDelete