Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Day 7 - one week old!

Asaf is one week old today. What a crazy crazy crazy week.

So far, things are going quite well. We had a scare yesterday, since he stopped urinating for more than 36 hours - but it seems that he has started to pee again today. Of course, we are never out of the woods -- just always waiting to see what will go wrong next. No new problems today - which is great from what other preemie moms have told me.

He has put on weight -- he was born at 530gr, he went down to 500gr (normal weight loss after birth) and is now up to 570gr!

I asked when I can get to hold him (for now, I'm allowed to put a hand into the isolette to touch him, so long as he is stable and warm, for a few minutes at a time). I was told that once he weighs 1 kilo and is off the ventilator, I can start doing "kangaroo care" and hold him skin to skin. Hopefully in a few more weeks.

It's really hard adjusting to having one son, when we were expecting 2. Of course, I'm hoping and praying I get to bring Asaf home, but it's really hard to readjust from being a 'twin mom' to being a mom of one.

C-section recovery is fine. I still can't believe I've had a C-section! I guess the giant scar will help remind me.

Pumping is hard. So very hard. So tedious and time consuming. But it's so rewarding to watch them feed him my milk, so I'll keep doing it for now. I'm also hoping to one day breast feed - so I've got to keep my supply up.

It's so hard to grieve for one baby, while trying to celebrate the lives of his twin. I'm trying to compartmentalize, so that when I'm at the hospital, the complete focus is on Asaf. It's just so sad to see the empty isolette next to him....

8 comments:

  1. Oh Leora and David! Please know that you all have been in my prayers everyday since finding out you were pregnant. I am so so sorry that you are having to go through all that you are going through. We know all to well the NICU dance as we called it. Two steps forward one step back. You are both amazingly strong parents. Your children know how much you love them. I think of you all day! I pray for you and your family all day as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leora and David
    My thoughts and prayers are constantly with you ,I applaud your strength and determination sharing your feelings and opening yourself up to everyone is commendable, they say that positiveness is success and I would not expect anything less from you .Micha was a special neshma and will always be loved and remembered ,Asaf we all love you and are pulling for you .With all the love in my heart,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leora and David,
    As Debbie wrote in her post your desire to open up to everyone is really commendable. My prayers are always with you, David, Micha, Asaf, and your extended family. I will continue to say tehillim until you bring Asaf safely home. You having a loving family and I know they will help you get through the roller coaster experience of being a mom to micro preemies. With love, Rachel Blumberger

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am thinking about you and davening for Assaf to grow up big and strong. I am so sad that Micha passed away. I wish you could have had more time with him. I gave Assaf's name to everyone I know personally and professionally. There are lots of prayers on his side!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are all praying for Asaf and hoping day by day he gains strength and weight. You and David have gone through so much but you're strong and focused. You have our love and prayers!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Strong,
    Hard.
    Sad,
    Tear.
    Tiny,
    Warm.
    Love,
    Pray.
    Together
    Forever.

    ReplyDelete